You found our list of the best ice breaker team building questions for work!
Team building questions are conversation prompts that help group members connect and build relationships. These ice breakers can be funny or serious, for example, “What is your favorite movie ever?” or “How do you spend the majority of your work day?” The purpose of these prompts is to facilitate discussions, have fun, and find points of connection in the workplace. These prompts are also known as “team builder questions” and “team bonding questions.”
This list includes:
- random team building question generator
- good team building questions for the workplace
- fun team building questions for work
- great work from home questions to ask your team
- would you rather questions for team building
- this or that team building questions
- icebreaker team building questions
- team building discussion topics
Let’s get to it!
Random team building question generator
Use this tool to generate random questions for team building.
Good team building questions for the workplace
- Would you prefer your boss or teammates give you detailed instructions or give you a general idea and grant you creative freedom?
- How do you manage deadlines?
- What is your preferred communication method and style?
- What is the most worthwhile lesson you’ve learned in your career so far?
- What is one piece of advice you’re glad you took?
- What is one piece of advice you’re glad you ignored?
- What is your dream project?
- Describe your ideal team.
- What is your greatest strength?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- What do you hope to achieve in your career?
- What is a goal you have for the next year?
- How do you resolve conflict at work?
- What is your default strategy for dealing with upset clients?
- Describe your polar opposite.
- What is one thing you want to improve about yourself?
- Describe your routine when you get a new project.
- What is your learning style?
- How do you express gratitude?
- What is a teamwork deal-breaker for you?
- What is one thing you think your teammates should know about you?
- Imagine you’re listening to a speech at your retirement party. What would you like your coworkers to say about you?
- Describe a time you misjudged a situation at work.
- What is your favorite part about working at the company?
- What most surprised you about working in this industry?
- Has your career taken any unexpected twists?
- What, if anything, would you change about your career?
- How do you think others perceive you?
For more insightful inquiries, check out our list of interview questions.
Fun team building questions (funny)
- What is the best prank you ever pulled on a coworker?
- Which one of your teammates is most likely to be an undercover secret agent?
- If you were a superhero, what would your name/power/secret alias be?
- If your pets could talk, what would they say about you?
- Which fictional world would you like to live in and why?
- What is your most memorable client story?
- What is your most memorable former coworker story?
- What could you best the rest of the team in?
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- What is your greatest pet peeve?
- What is a story you have always wanted to tell, but rarely get the chance?
- What is something seemingly obvious you only learned recently?
- What is your favorite time-wasting activity?
- What is the most outrageous impulse purchase you ever made?
- What is the silliest thing you believed as a child?
- Describe an uh-oh moment.
- Which celebrity would you most like to spend the day with?
- You accidentally send out an embarrassing tweet or text. What does it say?
- What is the most brainless thing you ever did while sleep-deprived?
- When were you accidentally the villain in someone else’s story?
- Who would you cast to play you in the movie of your life?
- Pick a personal theme song.
- Have you ever thought of a witty comeback too late? What was it?
- If you could have any animal as a pet which one would it be and why?
- What is your worst habit?
- If you could learn one secret of the universe, which one would it be?
- If a genie offered to grant you one wish, what would you wish for?
- What is the most useless talent you have?
- What is the strangest present you ever received?
- What is your favorite joke?
- What is an unpopular opinion you hold?
- What do you think is overrated?
- What is the silliest thing you are willing to argue about?
Work from home team building questions
- Describe your home office setup.
- What is your morning routine?
- What is your end of day routine?
- What is your favorite park of working from home?
- What is your least favorite park of working from home?
- What is the strangest thing you ever observed during a Zoom meeting?
- What is your favorite Zoom background?
- If you could work from anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
- Share your best work from home hack.
- What is one object you couldn’t work at home without?
- What is your favorite workday snack?
- What does your typical workday lunch consist of?
- What kind of online team building outings would you like to attend?
- What’s in your nearest desk drawer?
- What’s on the walls of your office?
- What do you see outside of your nearest window right now?
- What is one thing that might surprise remote coworkers upon meeting you in person?
- How do you stay focused while working from home?
- What do you typically wear when working remotely?
- Do you work in split chunks of time or straight-through the day?
- How do you spend the majority of your work day?
- How have your work habits changed since you started working from home?
- What is your go-to work from home playlist?
- Which of your remote coworkers do you think is the tallest?
For more talking points, check out icebreaker questions for virtual meetings.
Would you rather questions for team building
- Would you rather win the lottery or land your dream job?
- Would you rather work in a client-facing role or on the backend?
- Would you rather work in a noisy place or a quiet place?
- Would you rather be a team leader or play a group member?
- Would you rather be in the spotlight or behind the scenes?
- Would you rather always find a parking spot or never have a technology glitch?
- Would you rather have short daily meetings or one longer weekly meeting?
- Would you rather have variety or stability at work?
- Would you rather have little wins every day or one big win a month?
- Would you rather work out problems alone or with a team?
- Would you rather brainstorm solo or collectively?
- Would you rather lose power or lose internet access?
- Would you rather sit at a desk all day or work a physical job?
- Would you rather work a job that included frequent travel or one where you never traveled?
- Would you rather be congratulated publicly or privately?
- Would you rather retire early or pursue a second career?
- Would you rather have one big work event a year, or smaller work events every month?
- Would you rather run into a family member at work or a colleague outside of work?
- Would you rather a long phone call or a long meeting?
Check out more would you rather questions.
This or that team building questions
- Morning or evening?
- Work at home or work in an office?
- Vacation or staycation?
- Cats or dogs?
- Emails or phone calls?
- Slack or Zoom?
- Group work or solo work?
- Coffee break or happy hour?
- Concert or sports game?
- Dine in or takeout?
- Drive or fly?
- Video or in-person interview?
- Noisy or quiet?
- Android or iPhone?
- Staying in or going out?
- Money or influence?
- Team lunches or team dinners?
- Plan or improvise?
- Gift or experience?
- Work at home or work from a cafe?
- Zoom or Skype?
- Text or instant messaging?
- Act first or discuss first?
- Observe or perform?
- Emails or meetings?
- Optimism or pessimism?
- Take risks or play it safe?
- Ask permission or ask forgiveness?
- Look first or leap first?
- Comfort or growth?
Check out more this or that questions.
Icebreaker team building questions
- Where did you grow up?
- Where did you go to college?
- What are your hobbies?
- Do you have any pets?
- What was your first job?
- What was your previous job?
- What was the best job you ever had?
- What is your favorite food?
- Where did you take your last vacation?
- Where is your next vacation?
- What is your dream destination?
- Name one item on your bucket list.
- Why did you choose this career?
- Who has had the greatest influence on your career?
- What is the last book or article you read?
- How do you deal with stress?
- What is your proudest moment?
- What would you want to tell your past self?
- What would you want your future self to tell you?
- What is your latest discovery?
- What three words best describe you?
- What three things could you never live without?
- If you had to give an impromptu 30 minute speech on any topic, what would you talk about?
- If you could live in any other time period, which one would you choose and why?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite TV show?
- What is the most recent show you binge watched?
- What is your current obsession?
- Who knows you best?
Check out more get to know you questions.
Team building discussion topics
- What do you do for fun?
- What is your day-to-day like at work?
- How did you find out about the company you work for?
- How did you get into your job role / career?
- Which season is the best?
- Who is your most memorable teacher?
- What books did you read in high school?
- Do you prefer to travel by train or plane?
- Would you ever go deep sea diving?
- Which shows did you watch growing up?
- What is something you’ve been thinking about lately, that no-one has asked you about yet?
Asking ice breaker team building questions in the workplace helps groups get to know each other, talk more openly and have fun. These prompts can uncover shared experiences and similarities that help remote colleagues relate to each other and ease friction.
You should use these questions for team building fairly regularly, especially when a new teammate joins the department. You can ask your team these questions as meeting openers or closers. Or, post a question each week for a reply-all email or chat.